How to Make the New Testament Come Alive!
Every Christian’s Guide to Reading, Interpreting, and Applying the New Testament
Part 1: Getting Started
1. The Joy and Value of Studying the New Testament
2. Qualifications for Studying the New Testament
· Conversion to Christ
· A Spirit-Filled Life
· A Renewed Mind
Part 2: Reading the New Testament
3. Choosing a New Testament Translation
· The Major English Translations
· Which One Should I Use?
· What, Me Study Greek?
4. General Rules for Interpreting the New Testament
· The Three Basic Steps
· The Value of Interpretation
· The Goal of Our Study
Part 3: Interpreting the New Testament
5. Getting the Big Picture
· Historical Background – Essential!
· Literary Context – Indispensable!
· Don’t Forget the Genre!
6. How to Handle Textual Problems
· How Many Significant Variants Are There in the New Testament?
· How Do We Decide Which Reading Is Likely to be the Original One?
· Example: Should Christians Ever Get Angry?
7. How to Do a Word Study (and How Not to Do It)
· Basic Principles of Word Study
· Fallacies to Be Avoided at All Costs
8. Observing the Grammar and Structure of the Text
· Pay Close Attention to the Syntax
· Pay Even Closer Attention to the Structure
9. Poetry and Other Rhetorical Devices
· The Poetry of the New Testament
· Other Common Rhetorical Devices and Their Significance
Part 4: Applying the New Testament
10. Truth That Transforms
· The Importance of Application
· Mistakes to Avoid When Applying the New Testament
· How to Take a Timeless Truth and Communicate It in a Timeless Fashion
11. The Goal: Becoming Obedient Followers of Jesus
· Why Knowledge Is Not Enough
· The Goal of Our Instruction Is Love
Conclusion: The Life-Changing Power of the New Testament
Appendix: Tools for Further Study
May 26, 2021
David Alan Black is the editor of www.daveblackonline.com.